Because of salmon nutrition facts it is recommended to afford time to time salmon, which is rich in quality proteins, vitamins B complex, phosphorus, selenium and salmon omega-3 fatty acids that have beneficial effects on health.
Salmon flesh is soft and pink or orange-red color and has a great taste. Its eggs are used to produce the “red” caviar or as a substitute for the great Russian Beluga, which is prepared exclusively from eggs of sturgeon.
Salmon is on the market available in fresh form, frozen, canned or as a special delicacy in smoked salmon.
Salmon nutrition and energy value
Fresh salmon – 100g contains: 76 g water, 20 g protein and 3.5 grams of fat. Energy salmon value is 116 calories per 100 g of fresh foods.
In addition that salmon is a good resource of high quality protein, it contains also a large amount of important nutrients such as phosphorus, selenium, potassium, thiamin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6 and B12 and riboflavin.
Salmon health benefits
Salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel and herring contain high omega-3 fatty acids, valuable for our health, that’s why it is recommended to eat at least once a week fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
These are unsaturated fatty acids, which have various positive effects on the human body:
- Lowers blood fat level, especially LDL fractions and reduces the basis for the formation of fatty plaques in blood vessels
- Lowers blood cholesterol levels
- As a highly bioactive substances prolong the clotting time
- Salmon has a positive effect on inflammation (arthritis and other rheumatic diseases), cellular defense and wound healing tissue
- Have a special preventive effect in various degenerative diseases and cancer
- A positive impact on some forms of depression
- Salmon contains important nutritional components for growth and development of children (development of brain structures and retina)
Canned salmon in water is richer in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, which is preserved in oil. The best way to provide omega-3 fatty acids is the regular consumption of fish containing these fatty acids.
For more information about salmon nutrition facts check salmon diet.